Education and learning
The voluntary arm of the Cotswolds Conservation Board, the Cotswold Voluntary Wardens, have been working with schools
in and around the Cotswolds Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) for many years and in 2008, a pilot project was developed focusing on taking children outside the classroom to explore their local environment. This project grew in subsequent years and is now an important area of Voluntary Warden activity.
At present, work is targeted at pupils up to Key Stage 2 but there is the potential to work at Key Stage 3 level and above. Activities have involved work with the whole school or individual year groups.
Our wardens can offer (dependant on location of school and volunteers available):
- Creating natural sculptures and work with pastels,
- Work with trees
- Basic map and compass skills
- Bug hunts and pond/stream dipping,
- Wild flower walks and fossil hunting.
All activities are supported by volunteers. If your school has an idea or wishes to discuss any activities then please contact
Becky at Rebecca.firstname.lastname@example.org
Cotswold Way National Trail
We can offer a substantial set of activity-based educational material based on the Cotswold Way National Trail but which can generally be applied elsewhere within the AONB.
Contact: james. email@example.com 01451 862034
There are also a number of educational opportunities with other organisations across the Cotswolds:
Gloucestershire Wildlife Trust
- Visits to Nature Reserves or local wildlife areas for schools, youth groups and other community groups led by a Community Wildlife Officer (Cotswolds, Cheltenham and Stroud districts) or Reserve Managers. These can be National Curriculum focused, informal learning or experiential.
- Farm visit to Greystones Farm Nature Reserve, Bourton-on-the-Water.
- Membership of GWT gives Watch membership for families, individuals and schools, and therefore access to learning resources.
- The Primary Schools Quiz engages more than 100 primary schools, and therefore up to 500 children, in the county.
- Events for adults and families, mainly on reserves.
Margaret Westmore, Primary Schools Officer: firstname.lastname@example.org, 01452 389963
Will Masefield, Cotswolds Community Wildlife Officer: email@example.com, 07793 307056
Jo Worthy-Jones, Cheltenham Community Wildlife Officer: firstname.lastname@example.org, 07793 307104
Ellen Winter, Stroud Community Wildlife Officer: email@example.com, 07739 297309
Geology Earth Trust
- Geologists to teach geological sessions at a school and/or in the field
- A range of geology themed activities for hire, which can be run independently or in conjunction with above.
- Geologists to advise teachers on the geological sections of their curriculums (geography/science)
- Hire of Vernon our giant velociraptor!
Contact Eve Miles firstname.lastname@example.org or 01905 855184